One of the things that I love but rarely cook is King Ranch Chicken. It's a Texas favorite and definitely falls into the category of comfort food. Perfect for someone recovering from surgery. I found a Southern Living recipe for Light King Ranch Chicken that was relatively healthy and pretty simple and even included directions for freezing.
It turned out yummy and perfect! My mom took it out of the freezer this morning to defrost and by dinnertime it was ready to hit a hot oven. Thirty minutes later dinner was served!
Southern Living Magazine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1 (10-ounce) can fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10-ounce) can fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomato and green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (8-ounce) block reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
Sauté onion and bell pepper in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender.
Stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients; remove from heat.
Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces; layer one-third tortilla pieces in bottom of a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with one-third chicken mixture and one-third cheese. Repeat layers twice.
Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly.
Note: Freeze casserole up to 1 month, if desired. Thaw in refrigerator overnight, and bake as directed.
- Calories: 282 (32% from fat)
- Fat: 9.9g (sat 5g,mono 0.5g,poly 0.7g)
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrate: 26.4g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 54.4mg
- Sodium: 947mg
- Calcium: 248mg