Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Spaghetti Night...in 20 minutes!

Mondays are not fundays...can we just all agree on that? Today is the Monday following Spring Break which has made it even more of a challenge. We spent a week moving a a leisurely pace, caring less about bedtimes and schedules and more about fun. I liked it. The laid-back schedule fits me. I'm told I'd fit in well in Europe...anyone want to take me there? I'd like to go to Portugal or Italy or Greece or...well, I digress.

My point up there was that Monday nights are not usually the greatest cooking nights. We're tired and we're rushed and it's Monday for heaven's sake!!! So, tonight...comfort food in 20 minutes. It's spaghetti night in our household!

Here's the deal...I'm a spaghetti snob. My mom is a great cook and an Italian woman so I sort of have been spoiled when it comes to good tomato sauces in life. I remember as a kid harvesting tomatoes out of our massive vegetable garden and my mom stewing them to freeze them so she could use them for sauce throughout the year. Yum is really all I can say. As a result, I don't like jarred spaghetti sauces. They just don't taste that great to me. I'll occasionally use one and doctor the heck out of it with my spice cabinet, but it always leaves me wanting.

I have a great marinara recipe, Lindrusso's Magnificent Marinara - and I'll be sharing that soon when I make a huge batch - but it's a longer process than a Monday night allows. So, spaghetti in 20 minutes and not out of a Prego jar? Simple. Good. Healthy.

I start by browing ground beef. I use 91% lean grass-fed, antibiotic-free, hormone-free sirloin. We don't need extra hormones in this house, that's for sure! Plus, it tastes better.

Once it's browned, I drain it. Even though I use a leaner beef, I like to get the excess grease out where I can.


In the same pot I just browned the ground beef, I toss in diced onions, shortly followed by some chopped fresh tomatoes and garlic...you know the drill, cook until everthing is happy - maybe 5 minutes. By the way, you should start your pasta water at this point....it takes some time to get it to a good rolling boil.


I like to add my spices at this point. Y'all know I love Penzey's so it's no surprise that I use Penzey's Tuscan Sunset as my Italian seasoning of choice. It's salt free so you can salt to your taste instead of someone else's. =) I also add some crushed red pepper when the weeone's not looking...it's amazing how she only thinks foods are spicy if she SEES the spicy ingredients being added!

Next, 1 can of Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce (it's just pureed tomatoes really) and some tomato paste as well. Mix them up...


Then for that great depth of flavor that makes spaghetti sauce sing...add some red wine. I add about 1/2 - 3/4 cup. I use a reasonable table red - nothing fancy, but something I would drink.

You should have boiling water by now to add your pasta to and it just takes a few minutes to get that cooked through.


If you've got a weeone - spaghetti night MUST, I repeat MUST include garlic bread. We just use sandwich bread with butter and garlic powder and toss it under the broiler.


Voila! Dinner is served....in 20 minutes. Take THAT Rachel Ray! ;D


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job Terri! Of course you knew to add the red wine. I wonder where you got that secret from? The one thing about using red wine is it is very important that the wine cook down in to the sauce. Then as it cooks down you drink a glass to enjoy! You have learned well my dear and I love seeing the Weeone cooking and learning the family secrets!

mamacita said...

We have the same spice issues over here. Visible black pepper="OMG SO SPICY NOOOOO."

I bought some Sunny Paris spice at Penzeys a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking of using it for chicken salad. Have you ever used that blend? Any other Penzeys blends worth trying?

AGirlintheSouth said...

Hey K- yep, Penzey's - gotta love it! I'm a fan of Tuscan Sunset (Italian Seasoning), Barbeque 3000, Brady Street Cheese Sprinkle, Chili 3000, Foxpoint (this one totally rocks), Northwoods ( like the Fire version that is spicy). I'm pretty sure that Sunny Paris is just a salt-free version of Foxpoint, which if that's right - I love, love, love it! I use it on salads, veggies, chicken, fish....it's incredibly versatile!

Megan said...

The AIG Hospitality Team just will not be the same without you. Love you friend!

Sarah said...

So the spaghetti looks awesome, but I really love the Weeone's hair do. I think I need a few of those flowers for my do.