Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Incredible Edible Egg!

We like eggs at night in this house. I know I'm not alone in this phenomenon. There's a reason that plenty of restaurants serve their breakfast menus all day and it's because of eggs. That's my theory at least.


You see, eggs are warm and comforting and right. Eggs are the only perfect protein on earth (they contain every amino acid your body needs). Eggs are just a little bit of happiness.

Eggs with lots of really yummy stuff in them? That's dinner...er, um, or breakfast, or...um...errrr....brunch. Call it what you will. It's a meal and it's not just good, but good for you!

Quiche makes a regular appearance in our house, but Frittatas? Not so much. No particular reason for this other than the fact that I love the creamy goodness that is quiche. I thought it was time to give the Frittata a fair shake.

I didn't photograph the cooking of bacon because you guys see me cook bacon all the time...but it never hurts to look at cooked, crumbled bacon. I think God shows us he loves us by giving us bacon. It's got to be in my top 10 favorite things to smell and to eat.


Onions - I need to just grow them I use so many!  I took my mandolin and sliced some yellow onion into pretty thin slices.  I also drained and squeezed all the moisture from 2 packages of chopped frozen spinach. You need to squeeze as much liquid out as you can. Then in a pan on medium high heat, toss in a tablespoon of olive oil, the spinach and the onions and sautee them for about 5 minutes, adding salt and pepper as you do.



While those veggies are doing their thing, go in search of eggs. You'll need about 8 if you're working in a 10" skillet. Crack the eggs into something (I used a measuring cup), add about 1/2 cup of any cheese you'd like (I used Colby Jack since I had some grated already).  I think Swiss is always great with spinach  if you have that on hand.


Next you simply add your eggs and cheese in with your veggies. Stir everything up to combine it and let it cook a couple of minutes until the edges of the egg are set and cooked.


Move the skillet into a 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until the egg is cooked through.


When it's all cooked and ready, you're left with a really colorful and tasty meal.  We had ours with grape tomatoes and toast, but you can serve it with anything that strikes your fancy.

Oh! And one more thing - this is really good 3 hours later when you want a snack! ;D


Bacon, Onion and Spinach Frittata
Serves:  6


1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 of a large yellow onion thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups of frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted and drained of all liquid
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 organic eggs
1/2 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded


Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat an ovenproof 10 inch skillet over medium high heat, add olive oil, onion and spinach, cooking for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the eggs and cheese, stirring to combine. Let cook on the stove until the edges of the egg is set.  Move the skillet into the oven to complete cooking, about 10 minutes or until the middle is set.  Serve warm.


Nutritional Information: (serving is 1/6 of frittata) Calories: 208, Fat: 11g (sat fat: 3g), Protein: 12g, Carbohydrates: 17g, Fiber: 1g


3 comments:

Dangrdafne said...

My sister and Brother-in-law grew 100 onions or something like that and ate every single one. Oh my

During the last play they made a frittata but they never ate it - they always threw it away. The first time they threw it out, the whole audience went "noooooo". It was sooo funny.

I would definitely like to make this, we will have to see what I have for ingredients. Mmmmmm

Unknown said...

Made it for supper! Great. Easy and tasty. I think I'll try adding mushrooms next time, too--think that would be yummy, but not sure it could get much better.

Thanks for sharing!

AGirlintheSouth said...

Daf and Jen- You can vary the "stuff" in a frittata. Just keep in mind that its best not to add anything watery otherwise you'll have a mess!

Glad you liked it, Jen!