Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

I'm tired and Crabby and need something to eat!

Between being back at work full time, carrying the heavy boot that my foot's still in, and a longer-than-usual softball practice for the weeone, today was a VERY long day. I hadn't really planned on needing a dinner that's ready in 15 minutes, but that's exactly what I needed to deliver tonight.

I'd planned our weekly menu yesterday and on it I included a few cold things I thought would be good 'take along' lunches for me. One of those was a Crab Salad Pocket. Well, it was quick, so why not! I found this recipe in a Taste Of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook that I found on a magazine stand a week or so ago. The cover says "Display until April 6th" so I'm guessing it's been out a little while, but not too too long. It has lots of good breakfasts and lunches from the look of it.

This meal was quick, easy, light, tasty and will definitely be something that I make again. It'd be great for a beach picnic!!! It's got lots of crunch and great flavor as well. I sliced some cucumbers to have along with it as a perfect side. It's filling all on it's own and you could bulk it up some more with more peppers or cucumbers inside the salad as well!

This is not the best photo as the colorful nature of the sandwich doesn't really show through very well, but hey, I'm not a photographer!


Crab Salad Pockets
Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook
(submitted by Penny Bokovoy, Ulm, Montana

2 ounces imitation crabmeat, flaked, or canned crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
1/4 cup finely chopped cucumber
2 tablespoons chopped sweet red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
1 tablespoon sliced green onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped celery
1/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning (I used Old Bay and a bit more than 1/4 tsp)
2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise or salad dressing (I used reduced fat mayo)
2 whole wheat pita pockets, halved and warmed (I didn't bother warming!)

In a bowl, combine the crab, cucumber, peppers, onion, celery and seafood seasoning. Stir in mayonnaise. Fill pita halves with crab mixture

Yield: 1 serving
Nutritional Information
1 sandwich equals 239 calories, 2 g fat (0 sat. fat), 7mg cholesterol, 829mg sodium, 46g carb., 6g fiber, 12g protein

No comments: