Pages

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Shrimp and Tomatoes and Feta- OH MY!

Wow! That's really all I can say about this incredibly simple dish! It's a grand slam in my book - and boy am I glad since I made two pans of it and took one over to my friends Michelle and Carl (proud new parents of Baby Evelyn Pearl!!! Seen below being held by the weeone!) and I wanted it to taste good for them!


Anyway, our evening is a quiet one, here at home hanging out, so it's a perfect make-dinner-night! The weeone was not able to assist me this evening since she has been sent to her room for the day....that's a whole different blog post! The hardest part of this whole meal was peeling the shrimp. My Krappy Kroger doesn't carry peeled, deveined, raw shrimp and all I had on hand was peel-on, so I defrosted 2 pounds of shrimp and got busy peeling.

While I peeled, the onions and garlic made my house smell so good. Nothing really beats the smell of house that is cooking up some love! To the onions and garlic a couple of cans of diced tomatoes were added, followed by some parsley (I couldn't find dill and left it out and don't think the dish suffered a bit from it). Once that was done - it's off the heat, and all you do is add the shrimp, sprinkle with the feta and bake it for 12 minutes! Easy-peasy!!! This is a DEFINITE repeater for us. The weeone would like less feta, I'd like a tad more, so next time we'll have a feta-heavy side and a feta-light side!

So that was dinner...it was good...

I hope you all have a great Superbowl Sunday tomorrow!!!

GO STEELERS!!!


Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
Ellie Krieger
The Food You Crave


4 servings (1 1/2 cups each)

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
* 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
* 2 (14.5-ounce) cans of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their juices
* 1/4 cup finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh dill
* 1 1/4 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 3 ounces)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Heat the oil in an oven proof skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 5 minutes, until the tomato juices thicken.

Remove from the heat. Stir in the parsley, dill, and shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta over the top. Bake until the shrimp are cooked through and cheese melts, about 12 minutes.


Nutritional Analysis
per Serving
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups
Calories 300, Total fat 11g, Saturated fat 4.5g, Monounsaturated fat 4g, Polyunsaturated fat 1.5g, Protein 35g, Carbohydrates 12g, Fiber 2g, Cholesterol 240mg, Sodium 710mg

4 comments:

Heather Williams said...

Terri,

I enjoyed reading through your blog! The Weeone is too cute:) I have been meaning to try the Baked Shrimp recipe for a while now, you have motivated me.

Keep up the good work!

-Heather (Angelsfan on the BB)

AGirlintheSouth said...

Hey Heather!

Thanks for reading - I think the weeone is pretty darn cute too! =) Several people on the CLBB have tried other proteins in that recipe - scallops, chicken, etc - so it's pretty versatile too. I hope you like it as much as we did!

Sara said...

This sounds great - peeling shrimp can be a pain, but it's the deveining that I really hate!

Emilie Roop said...

I was eyeballing this recipe (you posted) on the BB and now that I see a picture of it, yum! And the nutrional breakdown, very impressive!