Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

Sweet and Spicy Grilled Cheese? It sure sounds good!

I was really intrigued by the title of the recipe Sweet and Spicy Grilled Cheese from Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave. It just sounded sooo yummy. I guess I had a flavor in my mouth that I assumed it would be....but it wasn't quite that. Don't get me wrong, these were pretty good, but nothing to rave about. I think if I make them again, I'd up the pepperjack cheese a bit. It seemed like a lot of sweet and not so much spicy. I'd personally prefer it the other way around. The weeone thought they were perfect - of couse, since she's not a fan of spicy.

We paired these with some leftover Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo to complete the meal. It was a bad choice on my part. The flavors didn't go together at all. Next time I will stick to serving tomato soup with grilled cheese!!! But look how pretty they are!


Sweet and Spicy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
The Food You Crave by Ellie Krieger

Serves 4

2 teaspoons canola oil
1 large red onion, finely diced (about 2 cups)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
8 slices whole-wheat bread
3 ounces pepper Jack cheese, thinly sliced
1 large or 2 medium rip beefsteak or hothouse tomatoes, sliced
Cooking spray

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden and the edges are browned, 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide the cheddar cheese between 4 slices of the bread. Spread 1 tablespoon of the caramelized onions on top of the cheddar, then top with the pepper Jack. Place 1 large or 2 small slices of tomato and the other slice of bread on top.

Clean and dry the skillet, then coat with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Place one of the sandwiches in the skillet and weigh down with a heavy skillet or plate. Lower the heat to medium-low and grill until the underside is a deep brown but not burnt and the cheese is partially melted, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip the sandwich and gill the other side until it's nicely colored, another 4 to 5 minutes. Slice in half and serve hot. Repeat with the other sandwiches.

Serving size: 1 sandwich
Per Serving: Calories: 350, Total Fat: 18g (Mono: 2.5g, Poly: 1g, Sat: 8g), Protein: 16g, Carb: 33g, Fiber: 5g, Chol: 45mg, Sodium: 560mg

No comments: