Pages

Friday, June 19, 2009

Recipe Swaps...

I received an email from a friend the other day inviting me to participate in a recipe swap. It was basically a chain letter of the old days, just in email form. The idea is simple. You send your favorite easy, great recipe to the first of two names/email addresses in the email and then move your name to the 2nd position, move the sender's info to the first position and send the invite on to as many friends as you'd like. Then you start receiving recipes from people you probably don't know.

I did it.
I did.
I know, I know, but it's recipes!!!

Keep in mind that I'm also the person who is first in line to buy a church or community cookbook. I always operate on the premise that people only submit their BEST recipe to these things. They don't want to be known for that bad recipe - they want to be remembered for the great one. So it only makes sense that the same premise would hold in this situation.

So, I've begun receiving recipes. It's sort of fun to see who sends them and where they're from. It's also interesting to see what other people eat. I'm a bit of food voyeur I suppose.

Somehow in this process, I ended up receiving a recipe from my mom! I guess someone I sent the email to then sent it to her. I was very happy to see that the recipe she sent me is one that I LOVE, but don't have. It's a recipe she makes every now and then, usually for potlucks or barbeques.

I love it so much I thought I'd share it. However, let me warn you - this is good....lick the bowl good and you're liable to get addicted. And it's really simple to whip up whenever the mood happens to strike you. So be prepared with a 12 step program to get you to step away from the Broccoli Salad!!!

BROCCOLI SALAD


Ingredients

4 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 pounds)

1 1/2 cups seedless green grapes, halved

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup raisins

1/4 cup salted sunflower seed kernels

1/3 cup light mayonnaise

1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt

3 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon white vinegar

Preparation

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.

Combine mayonnaise and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture, and toss well. Chill for 1 hour.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled that you love that recipe. I was shocked when I read your blog and saw my recipe. Now please refer me to all who get addicted to this! I have just the group for them. HA!

AGirlintheSouth said...

Mom, you crack me up. And yes, I know if a 12 step program is needed...you're just the gal to call!