Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Nothing like hot soup in the heat....

I know, I know...I live in Houston and it's summer and it's like a bajillion degrees outside, but I just can't help it. I love soup. And, frankly, I don't care what time of year it is...I'll eat it anytime! Fortunately, I'm passing on this little freakiness to the weeone.

Last night I wanted to make a corn chowder that I found on my friend, Joe's blog - Culinary in the Desert, but I didn't have any potatoes so I had to come up with something else. The weeone with soup already in mind, suggested Tortilla Soup. It's her fave - but I wanted something with shrimp....the result? Tortilla Soup - Cabo Style! =)

It was quick, easy, made with things I had on hand and totally tasty! I hightly recommend you break the rules and make some immediately - no matter how hot it is at your house!



Tortilla Soup - Cabo Style
brought to you by Terri the crazy soup-in-the-summer lady

16 oz medium shrimp, peeled and deveined then sauteed any way you like
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder ( use more if you don't have weeone you have to curb the spices for)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles
32 ounces stock - chicken or vegetable ( I used chicked this time )
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
tortilla chips
grated cheddar or monterrey cheese
sour cream

Saute the shrimp in whatever seasonings you'd like then set aside. In a heated soup pot, add the olive then the onions. Saute until they're transluscent. Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes being sure not to burn the garlic. Add all the spices then the cilantro and mix thoroughly. Pour in the diced tomatoes and the stock (also had diced jalapenos here if you like things spicy). Let the soup come to a boil, then turn to medium low and simmer for about 10 minutes. When the spices are well blended and the taste is making your tongue happy, add the corn and black beans to heat through. Just before serving, add the shrimp. Served with tortilla chips to crush into the soup and top with grated cheese and sour cream. Yum.

3 comments:

Julia@SometimesLucid said...

I agree about soup - in fact I just had some Thai soup today for lunch. And we're over 100 degrees here. That tortilla soup looks yummy, btw.

AGirlintheSouth said...

Hey Julia - We've cooled off to the mid-90's for now, but I suspect that since August begins next week, we'll be in the 100's again before I know it....and I'll still want soup!!!! Hope all is well with you and the kids!

Kim said...

I live in the south and i too make soup all summer long - usually 1x a week! (have I mentioned I hate summer/love cooler/colder weather???)

:)