Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Berry Sorbet...with a little somethin' somethin'


I've never been a big ice cream fan *gasp*. It's true. As a kid the frozen treat I went to first at Baskin-Robbins was either rainbow sherbet or daiquiri ice (which BR has done away with in recent years - shame on you BR!!!). I don't know what it is about ice cream versus a sherbet or an ice -ooooh....that just made me remember the Italian Water Ice that I also loved as a kid...I wonder where a Houston gal can't a bit of that!- but the cream is not my preference.

I suppose the fact that ice cream's not a big draw for me has been useful during my transition to dairy-free life (the why on that is explained in this post). But I do love a sweet frozen treat during the summer. And this summer in particular I've been craving the cold things. It's been blazingly hot in Houston this June. The temps are soaring to ridiculous numbers that have 3 digits and we're all resorting to anything cold to try to stay comfortable. I've been wondering if those water bras freeze well? It's a thought.

I knew it would be hot on the 4th of July and since I was not in control of the menu I offered to make a sorbet for one the desserts. Problem there? I have only made sorbet like once, ever. And it was no raving success to write home about. It was average. It was okay. But it wasn't great. I wanted something yuuuuuummy and perfect if I was taking it to a cookout!!! So, where did I turn? My trusty friends over on the Cooking Light Bulletin Boards. Those folks are a wealth of great information and recipes (as well as all sorts of advice if you're having trouble with your mother-in-law or your nosey neighbor or what sort of digital slr camera you should buy or....okay let's just say Lots of Things!).

The CLBB crowd rallied with my cry for help with non-dairy frozen treats. I was amazed at the options. But I settled on a couple that I would try. The first of which is a Berry Sorbet( with a little somethin' somethin' )- thanks sneezles for the recipe! This was super easy to make. It came together quickly and froze really nicely. It was pretty in the dish (soooo important!) and it tasted really good. Overall, this was a success! I would have liked a little more of the somethin' somethin', so I might increase it the next time I make it and see if it freezes the same because it had a GREAT texture that I wouldn't want to ruin.

So if you're in the mood for something cold and something with a little zing and something to lift your mood, go find yourself some Berries and bottle of Grey Goose and make yourself a treat...and then invite me over!

****Warning****
It is not the Sorbet's fault that this is a poor photo....please don't hold it against the sorbet!


Berry Sorbet
(with a little somethin' somethin')
compliments of sneezles on the CLBB

5 cup raspberries or strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Lyle's Golden Syrup
1/3 cup fresh lime juice divided
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Chambord (raspberry-flavored liqueur) or Kirsch

Place berries in a blender; process until smooth. Press blackberry puree through a sieve into a medium bowl; discard seeds. Add sugar, syrup, lime juice, 1/4 cup vodka, lemon juice and liqueur to black berry puree; stir well.

Pour berry mixture into the freezer can of an ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze until firm.




4 comments:

tholbrook said...

Hey Terri - that sorbet looks great! I'm always looking for new ways to use up my Lyle's Golden Syrup.
You might be interested to know that Daiquiri Ice has shown up again at Baskin-Robbins (at least here in Ohio) ... I was told that they stopped selling it, only to have everyone complain that it was gone.

Ashley said...

Oh now THAT sounds and looks AWESOME! Love the addition of a little somethin' somethin'!

AGirlintheSouth said...

tholbrook - that is AWESOME news! I didn't know. I haven't stepped foot inside a BR in a LONG time. Without Daiquiri Ice, there was no reason (plus we have a couple of other great ice cream shacks around me). I'll have to make a cameo there soon and support the return of "the ice"! =)

AGirlintheSouth said...

Ashley - Good to "see" you! You know I always love that somethin' somethin' too! It just makes everything taste sooooo much better! =)