Pages

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

On a night when I don't want to cook...


...I often still do! Sunday evening the weeone had returned from a weekend of fun with her dad and she'd already eaten dinner. Often times, the nights I have to fend for just myself end up with me driving through a fast food retaurant or eating some other junk out of my fridge or my cabinets. I know, I know....Sarah G. (my dietician) would die! But, it's the sad truth. You do that too, right? =)

Well, Sunday I didn't want to leave the house and there was nothing quick, easy and completely void of nutritional value available for me to stuff my face! The result? I started going through the house looking for something to cook up easily and quickly that would put a smile on my face. The sight of a frozen bag of already peeled and deveined shrimp got my brain moving a bit.

I love a white wine butter sauce...who doesn't!!! So, I thought I'd take some of my Earth Balance butter-ish non-butter and try to create one. There was zucchini in the crisper and it never takes convincing to get me to add zucchini to anything, so I pulled that out as well and then put a pot of water on to boil for pasta. 10-15 minutes later.... Shrimp and Zucchini Pasta! I really liked this (so did the weeone who kept coming and stealing my shrimp - crazy little girl!).



Shrimp and Zucchini Pasta

  • ¼ cups Butter
  • 1 cup White Wine
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 1 tablespoon All-purpose Flour
  • 2 tablespoons Favorite Vegetable Seasoning ( I Used Penzey's Foxpoint Blend)
  • 1 pound Shrimp
  • 1 whole Zucchini, Diced ( You Can Add More!)
  • 8 ounces Whole Wheat Angel Hair Pasta

1. Melt the butter in a large pan over medium high heat. Once melted add the white wine and garlic, stirring to incorporate well. Let the mixture come to a boil for a minute.

2. Boil water for the pasta and cook as directed on the package.

3. Remove a 1/4 cup of the wine/butter mixture and in a small bowl combine it with the tablespoon of flour. Mix until you have a good slurry and add back into the pan to thicken the sauce.

4. Add the seasonings, shrimp and zucchini to the sauce and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are pink and cooked through.

5. Serve the shrimp and zucchini with sauce over the pasta.





No comments: