Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

30 Days of Beverages - Day 14 - Cheers!

I'm a few days behind. Sorry, but I'm on the first vacation I've taken in a LONG time so I'm not really prone to busting out the laptop and blogging. Sorry. However, there IS a lot of drinking going on, so I'm keeping up with my task of tackling beverages for 30 days. Also, I had a few cocktails at home that I haven't shared with you yet. Trust me, there's lots of good stuff coming up!

So, now on to the task at hand...the 14th drink. You may remember that a few days ago I posted a photo of a jar of booze....it looked a bit like a little jar of moonshine. It was a gift, of sorts, from my friend Sherri. I had been at her house to drop off a couple of Astro's tickets and we got to chatting about her recent trip to Napa and a particular vineyard that they really loved, Domaine Chandon. They had purchased this great little book of drink recipes while they were there and they're planning a cocktail party (that I really hope to get an invite to, hint, hint!) using some of these great drinks.

So I used this book....


...and busted out some champagne. Now, I've got to tell you that opening a bottle of champagne is scary for me. I don't know why exactly. I've never had a big problem with it, but it still scares me. If you want to make me happy and you're at my house, grab the champagne and open it for me. =) It's the little things in life that make and keep me happy.


With the help of a little simple syrup, and some fresh mint and that moonshine (which was pear brandy, by the way) I made a heavenly little champagne cocktail. I think if I make this again I will add a bit more pear brandy or try apple brandy next time, but this is a refreshing and tasty little treat.


Champagne Julep
from Tiny Bubbles by Kate Simon

1/2 ounce simple syrup
2 sprigs fresh mint
Dash of apple or pear brandy
5 ounces Champagne brut or sparkling wine brut, chilled
Fresh berries or thin slices of apple or pear for garnish

In a 10 ounce highball glass, muddle the simple syrup and mint. Dash with the brandy. Fill the glass one-third full with cracked ice. Top slowly with Champagne. Stir gently. Garnish with fresh berries. Serves 1.

Cheers!

No comments: