Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

30 Days of Beverages - Day 25 - Russian Literature

Pushkin, Tolstoy, Lermentov were all great writers. Yeah....I don't know anything about Russian literature. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm more of a chick lit kind of gal. Give me some Jennifer Weiner or Patricia Cornwell - Oh - or a good James Patterson novel, but I'm going to say "nyet" to the Russian literature scene. At least, I think that's what I'm going to say since I don't have a cyrillic keyboard to type it right. Heavens....this suddenly became complicated!

Today is the 25th drink we've shared together. Shouldn't you have bought me dinner by now??? =) Sorry, it's the vodka talking.

So, quite a few of my friends know about my 30 days of [blank] and have chimed in along the way - either begging for an invite to happy hour or just showing up! Others have commented on drinks or suggested drinks that I try. Others are planning an intervention and rehab... Today is a day when a friend made a suggestion.

I work with this guy who, although I've known him for a few years, I really didn't get to know until the company did a little "re-orging" at the end of last year. Javier and I are now part of the same District and our territories back up to one another so we share some accounts. We've discovered over the past several months that we share several interests as well. We both love football - of course, he's twisted and cheers for the hometown Texans while I'm grounded in reality and good family history and cheer for the Pittsburgh Steelers! We both have daughters who hung the moon. We both also enjoy a good drink (or two!) on occasion.

So, today when I was chatting about work, life and weekends with Javier, he suggested a White Russian as today's drink. I have not ever tried a White Russian....vodka and cream never sounded like a great combination....but people seem to like it, so what the heck - why not!

I have to say that it was different than I expected. It was better than I expected too. I might have made mine a bit stronger than intended, but it was still tasty. I can see now why people like these! It seemed like a perfect drink for a rainy day....a White Russian in hand while you're wrapped up in a blanket on the couch with a good book.....aha...now today's blog title is making sense to you, isn't it?

Next rainy day...find a good book and blanket and give it a try! Thanks Javier...good idea.


White Russian

2 oz vodka (you can use vanilla if you prefer)
1 oz Kahlua or other coffee liqueur
1/2 - 1 oz light cream

Mix the vodka and Kahlua over ice then fill with cream and serve. Serves 1.


No comments: